Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

7 years after Nepal Earthquake 2015!

 

I don’t think any Nepali can ever forget 25th April, 2015 i.e. 12th Baisakh[1], 2072.[2] It has been 7 years of that fearsome day. The memory still gives us tears and bitterness. The earthquake left a great loss of lives, heritages, properties and economy.

Thousands of people have been killed, thousands injured and hundreds of thousands of houses completely destroyed and many people rendered homeless. Many government and public office buildings, historical, cultural and archeological heritages have been destroyed; physical infrastructures including public and private school buildings, bridges, roads, etc. have also been destroyed. The Government has declared the fourteen districts (Gorkha, Kavrepalanchok, Dhading, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, Sindupalchok, Dolakha, Ramechhap, Okhaldunga, Makwanpur, Sindhuli, Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Lalitpur) as the crisis-hit districts and started rescue and relief works.[3] The Post-Disaster Need Assessment conducted by National Planning Commission of Nepal highlighted that the overall loss due to the Gorkha earthquake was $7 billion.[4]

I was in my Higher secondary school level, studying in Physical group of Science faculty, at grade 11. Perhaps, the college was celebrating Farewell program on the day while I willingly decided not to attend. After the aftermath of devastating earthquake, I thought to write a diary on it. Let it be a historical insight. It is true that when time passes on, many instances of history gets mythologized with additive exaggeration. My diary wasn’t its exception. I tried best to nail down every detail without any fictional addition. However, I love literature and usage of literary device. Therefore, I willingly used highly metaphorical and hyperbolical expressions to ponder reactions of the people. The diary was written in newspaper format and I used images from internet. The diary might contain expressions that can make you feel bizarre. Please, bear with all languages used.

I was just in grade 11. Hence, I didn’t have much established Biblical and theological knowledge but was progressing perhaps after my CBS camp.[5] Therefore, it’s my sincere request to consider the languages that touches theological and Biblical fields wherever they come into play in my diary. I am saying this because there was a great embarrassing moment for Christians frequently highlighted everywhere. All around social medias, there was religious discussion. As an interested person in theology and apologetics, I thought I must give my insight on those pity remarks of the people. I can assure any Christians who have keen knowledge of theology, they can find my remarks childish and naive.  

This diary is just a reflection of the past. It might contain satire, offense, defense, or any other messages. It’s a request to reader to consider the contextual time and situation when I wrote this. Take it just like a flashback short movie script.

Thank you!

 The link to diary: Here!



[1] Remember English and Nepali date do not always match up. The date I used to publish the post is based on Nepali date and not English.

[2] The devastating earthquake of 7.8 in Richter scale that struck the country with its epicenter at Mandre, Barpak VDC-02, Gorkha at 11:56 am on 2072 Baisakh 12 (corresponding to 25 April 2015) and its frequent aftershocks chiefly the two fatal ones dated 26 April and 12 May 2015 have caused an inconceivable loss of lives and properties. https://reliefweb.int/report/nepal/post-earthquake-relief-rehabilitation-and-reconstruction-measures-undertaken-government

[3] Govt. Nepal, Post-Earthquake Relief, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Measures undertaken by the Government of Nepal, 1st June, 2015, https://reliefweb.int/report/nepal/post-earthquake-relief-rehabilitation-and-reconstruction-measures-undertaken-government, accessed on 4/14/2022, 1.05 pm

[4]  Science and Technology in Disaster Risk Reduction in Asia, 2018, Revisiting Major Historical Earthquakes in Nepal, https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/gorkha-earthquake-2015, accessed on 4/14/2022, 1:11 pm

[5] My strong conviction about the calling from God and interest in theology and apologetics didn’t get its germination unless I attended CBS camp at Bhaktapur. The sessions taken by honourable Bible teacher Elder PA Thomas changed my journey in Christian life forever.

Read for detail: https://apologeticsimpact.blogspot.com/2020/11/my-journey-from-hinduism-to-jesus.html


Post a Comment

0 Comments